Thursday, October 8, 2009

You Go! John Cho!

I had heard that John Cho was going to be the first Korean Actor to be starring on a major television detective show called - Flash Forward. What I didn't know is that his character has a fiance and his fiance is Gabrielle Union - drop dead gorgeous Nubian princess! I was floored! The role was complete with on-screen kisses and even a post coital hotel scene describing their wedding day.

In 2000 when I met my now ex-wife I was doing lots of modeling and acting gigs. And once the word got out that my fiance was African-American soon after we got many phone calls from my agency about doing print ads together. We did spreads for Baby Talk Magazine, Parenting Magazine, and even a campaign for Martha Stewart Bedding. We were the anomaly in the industry. And quite possibly the only Korean male and Black Model real couple at that time. And our children were snatched up as soon as they came out of the womb by Tommy Hilfiger, Toys R us, Baby Phat, Target, and the Children's Place for ad campaigns. It was a truly amazing minute in all of our lives.

So FLASH FORWARD 9 years into the future. John Cho is on a television show where in 6 months he will be dead so eventually his marriage is over too! So the question exists...Do Korean Male and African American Female Marriages Last? At least in the television show death becomes him. But in my reality,the truth of the situation is much more complex. However, I did meet a couple in NYC that was together for like 15 years or something. So they made it through the fire. But seemingly my marriage didn't and we crashed somewhere between super stardom and waiting tables.

But what I am happy to see is that John Cho's Character is a huge breakthrough in Asian Male Sexuality on film. So kudos John you are my shining light and are the champion that Korean Males have been waiting for to help the transition of the image of Korean/Asian American Males in mainstream media. Thank you for the writer (Lindsay Allen) who chose very progressive visual. To finally see a couple on television that emulates what my marriage was is so amazing, and to see him portrayed as a male who actually has a penis which hot women might desire is doubly amazing! Eat your heart out YUL KWON! John beat us both to the punch! It's amazing to see how being a pot smoking financial analyst in HAROLD and KUMAR can take you places!

I hope that the show's popularity grows. Hopefully it will have a bit of a ripple effect where even in middle America, interracial marriages become somewhat normal as same sex marriages, but then again those ultra conservatives might define a marriage as a unity between a man and a female of the same race and proponents of proposition 8 would be once again dancing in the streets.

But for now this small victory goes to John Cho! My first Korean American on-screen hero! Way to go John! I was hating on you for stealing my Captain Sulu role in the new Star Trek but now, I'm living my life vicariously through you. Keep it up!

VSCL

No comments:

Post a Comment